Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Murals at Balmy Street

Balmy Street Murals

Life as told from the Streets

I read about some of the fascinating collection of murals along some of the back alleys and streets within the Mission District and I had to see for myself. My first stop was Balmy Street which is a small alley between 24th and 25th streets.  If you decided to visit by car, I suggest you enter from 25th street since it is a one-way street. If you are using a GPS, I would set it to 95 Balmy Street and you will get there. In fact, you’ll be able to enter directly from 25th street. 









The history of the murals stems back to the early 1970’s to 1980’s to reflect much of the atrocities in human rights, social and political abuses that occurred in South America and represented by artistic expression.  Today the murals tell similar stories but with much emotion of life despairs and joys both locally and globally. The murals are painted on fences, garages and on the sides of the homes that align the alley way.  Some are painted along buildings, Churches and even schools.  While I was there I was fortunate enough to watch one of the muralists at work and it is amazing to see the detail and passion they put into their work.









One of the better ways to appreciate the murals and its artistry is to take one of the tours offered by a local tour company called Precita Eyes Muralists, please see http://www.precitaeyes.org/index.html.  They are actually located around the corner from Balmy Street and offer tour options, maps and probably the most comprehensive information about the murals you will find. 









Overall, I found the murals to be very interesting and telling and you can find them discretely at various locations around the Mission District.  As for the area itself, there is many little local eateries, shops, salons, hippie bars, markets and such that make up the community.  I do question whether the area is safe as it does not appear to be just by looking around, however in my research I found that many consider it is.  
Looking from 25th to 24th Steet










I did find an excerpt in Yelp that I found interesting from Tony L. and he writes, “One should view and enjoy these murals and other nearby murals during the day. BE AWARE of the people and situations/events around you. Have a third eye as you view these and be sure there is an "exit" hideaway no matter where you are. Not trying to scare others away, but things are sadly and undeserving changing in the Mission, so be careful!!”  He also included an article from the San Francisco Chronicle date May 8, 2011, http://www.sfgate.com/cg….









I personally had a couple of issues while I was visiting therefore I suggest that you try the tour or drive through some of the areas yourself.  Pay particular attention to the one-way streets, not everyone understands if you inadvertently made the wrong turn and make sure that you clearly map out your route as the area is very busy with traffic.

Travel Score:   
                
Murals, Muralist, Mission District, San Francisco,          

0 comments:

Blogger Template by Clairvo