Friday, August 3, 2012

Mission San Francisco de Asis (Mission Delores)

Mission Delores

Five Days Before the Declaration of Independence

I really enjoy visiting Missions, mainly because of their rich history and beauty. When I learned that there was one located in San Francisco and it was built on June 29, 1776 - five days before the Declaration of Independence…I just had to visit.  

Gift Shop










The Mission Delores is located at 3321 Sixteenth Street between Delores Street and Church Street.  If you prefer to take public transit, you’ll find the Fillmore Electric Bus stops right at the front door of the church and the “J” Church Street Car stops approximately one block west from Church Street.  If you arrive on a weekend, there is complimentary parking in the Mission Delores parking lot.  However I drove along Delores Street and found parking right in front of the Church.  When you drive on Delores it is a two-lane street and when parking, I thought that I was blocking one of the lanes but I noticed that there were a lot of cars doing the same thing.  I asked the Gift Shop Manager if there was any problem parking along the grassy island (center divider) and he said that people have parked there for years and he had never seen any problems.  Here’s a tip, if you ever partake in the 49 Mile Scenic Drive, you’ll pass right by Mission Delores. 

The Church Interior










When I first arrived I noticed that this mission was much smaller than the many others I visited, however I was excited to see what was inside considering this was San Francisco’s oldest building.  Upon entering the front door I was taken directly to the Gift Shop which is also small but packed with interesting things for sale to include jewelry, crosses, tiling, books, and assorted souvenirs. The Gift Shop and Tour is open from 9am to 4pm, see http://www.missionscalifornia.com/keyfacts/san-francisco.html for more information.  To gain entrance into the mission you are required to pay $5.00 fee per adult which is discounted if you are a student or senior citizen.  

Church Altar










I paid the entrance fee and walked through a small door which led me directly into the church.  It was beautiful and you could just feel the history all around you.  The church itself was not very big roughly 22 feet wide and 114 feet long and when I looked up at the ceiling I noticed interesting zigzag Native American designs that I later learned was painted with vegetable dyes. There were two rows of pews aligned along the walls of the church leading to the altar. On the right side was a beautiful mural that captivated the wall from floor to ceiling and the closer I walked to the altar I noticed a plaque embedded in the ground identifying names of those buried within the Church.  Looking directly at the altar I found some beautiful religious carvings, paintings and statues that dated back to the 1796. 

Native American Designs










Once I left the main area of the church I walked into the museum which was a small room that contained several artifacts distinguishing the history of the church. On the walls were lithographs of the California Missions as well as clothing used during the religious ceremonies of the San Franciscan Era 1776-1846. The center displays were coveted with some of the more sacred items from Father Serra himself who directed the construction of the Mission Delores. 

Artifacts over the Years










Upon leaving the museum I found myself outside in a small quad area with benches, a fountain and of course…the restrooms.  From here you can walk directly into the cemetery which in the center is a statue of Father Junipero Serra who again was the Founder and First President of the California Missions, he died on August 28, 1784.  

Courtyard Leading to Cemetary










According to the four-page leaflet given to you when you take the mission tour, the cemetery was much larger in the olden days and the graves were marked simply with wooden crosses that deteriorated over time.  As the cemetery gradually got smaller the unidentified bodies were later buried in a common grave. The people buried there were those after the Gold Rush Era when San Francisco began growing as a thriving city.  However, the First Governor of Alta under Mexican rule, Don Luis Antonio Argüello and Don Francisco de Haro, the first Mayor of San Francisco are laid to rest in the cemetery. 

Cemetary










Also buried there are the victims of the Vigilantes, James P. Casey, Charles Cora and James Sullivan.  For more information on the Vigilantes, please visit http://www.sfmuseum.org/hist11/vigilantes.html. Sadly there was a French family killed during the tragic explosion of the Jenny Lind Steamboat that was also buried at the Mission.  See the New York Times article date May 13, 1853, visit here for more information.

News about the Jenny Lind













I really enjoyed my visit, with spending some time in the Gift Shop and paying for the Mission tour I would say in all it was about a half-hour.  Maybe longer if you took more time in the cemetery to see who was buried there or to find the oldest dates.  However, because of the rich history it was worth the trip.   
Travel Score:




For more information, please visit the Mission Delores website at: http://missiondolores.org/index.html


To read more about California Missions visit the link below:
Missions, San Francisco, Mission District,

0 comments:

Blogger Template by Clairvo