Monday, July 9, 2012

Lighthouse at Pigeon Point

Pigeon Point Lighthouse

A Guiding Light Since 1872

Once in a while I like to write about places that are off the beaten path that makes the Bay Area such a unique place.  If you like the idea of a nice scenic drive along the coast, then the drive from Santa Cruz to Half Moon Bay won’t disappoint you.  Pigeon Point lighthouse is located approximately halfway between Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay and roughly 50 miles south from San Francisco’s city center off Highway One. 
Entrance to Pigeon Point









I made my visit heading north on Highway One from Santa Cruz and turned left onto Pigeon Point Road leading directly into the State Park.  I was happy to see that parking was free as well as entry into the park.  I have always been excited about lighthouses because there’s always a story, a sense of suspense, and eeriness complimented by their beauty.  However, when I walked through the main grounds, it didn’t take me long to notice that there was a fence around the lighthouse.  Quickly my excitement subsided as it didn’t look like I would have the chance to go inside.  
Boardwalk to the Lighthouse










As I walked the grounds I noticed a small gift shop located just behind the Lighthouse, as I entered I met a nice lady who worked behind the counter.  At the park you will find volunteers who help out with the park activities, provide tours and work in the gift shop.  I asked her if they allowed visitors to go inside the lighthouse and she quickly replied, “You didn’t read the literature outside did you?” and soon I found myself feeling like a schoolboy who didn’t do his homework.  I reluctantly confessed that I had not, however she shared with me the story as to why lighthouse tours were not available. 
A Brief History










Unfortunately in December 2001 a large portion of tower’s upper iron belt had broken off and fell to the ground.  According to the literature that was posted outside of the Lighthouse, this iron belt functions like a rubber band that helps hold the tower together and therefore when the large piece had broken off, it made the entire structure unsafe.  In fact, I had the opportunity to pick a small section of the piece that had fallen off and I must say it was a little heavy and definitely would have ruined someone’s day if that had fallen and hit them. 
A Piece Broke Off










It doesn’t take long to visit the entire park, perhaps an hour to see everything therefore I wouldn’t make a special trip but I would certainly make it a part of your road trip while traveling on Highway One.  Entering into the park you will find a few small structures or buildings that have historical information about the lighthouse as well as some pictures of the past which are very fascinating and interesting.  There is a nice semi-wooden path or boardwalk that takes you to the cliffs where you will find a park bench to enjoy the ocean and the rocks below.  While visiting I enjoyed watching the sea lions frolicking on the rocks and soaking up some sun.  I was told by one of the Park’s volunteers that during whale watching season this could be a great spot to watch Grey Whales passing by. 
Lighthouse Restoration










Something I found very interesting was the Lighthouse Keeper’s house restored and made into a Hostel.  I was surprised to see how nice this Hostel was with some of its rooms giving spectacular ocean views.  The prices seemed reasonable too, with shared, private and family rooms.  I also noticed there was a Jacuzzi overlooking the ocean that could be rented if you stayed there. Here is a link for those who are interested.    http://norcalhostels.org/pigeon/
Fog Horns










The Lighthouse was built in 1872 and is considered one of the tallest in America boasting 115 feet high and sitting atop a 35 foot cliff in the small town of Pescadero. The Lighthouse was used to guide mariners to California’s Gold Country.  A little history about how Pigeon Point came about details back to 1853 when a clipper ship named the Carrier Pigeon was sailing from Boston to San Francisco and ran aground near Whale Point or at the time called La Punta de la Ballena.   Fortunately the crew made it to safety but the Clipper Ship was ruined and over time people referred to the area as Pigeon Point in memory of the Carrier Pigeon.  
Sea Lions Frolicking on the Rocks










I really enjoyed my time there partly because the weather was great but mostly because of the beauty and history.  I encourage anyone who passes along Highway One in the small town of Pescadero to take a look.  To map the location or set GPS, the address of the Lighthouse is 210 Pigeon Point Road Highway One, Pescadero, CA 94060.  For more specific information, visit http://parks.ca.gov/?page_id=533

Travel Score:



Pigeon Point, Carrier Pigeon, Clipper Ship, Psecadero, Lighthouse 

0 comments:

Blogger Template by Clairvo